412-567-9598

Menu

Uber/Lyft Accidents

Pittsburgh Uber/Lyft Accident Lawyer

Pittsburgh Personal Injury Attorney Represents Injured Victims of Uber/Lyft Accidents

Many of us choose to use rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft as a safe method of transportation. Although rideshare drivers safely complete thousands of rides every single day, these drivers have numerous demands on their attention while behind the wheel from the rideshare mobile application or from passengers inside the vehicle. In a city environment like Pittsburgh, a distracted driver is at great risk for causing a motor vehicle accident. When a driver causes an accident while driving for a rideshare company, both the negligent driver and the rideshare company should be held responsible to compensate injured victims of the accident for the damages that result from their injuries. 

Large corporations like Uber and Lyft can devote significant resources to minimizing their liability to people who are injured by their rideshare drivers. You need experienced, aggressive legal representation on your side that will fight to get you the full and fair compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages. Contact The Law Office of Mark A. Smith today to schedule a free case review to talk to experienced Uber/Lyft accident lawyer Attorney Mark A. Smith about your case and to learn more about your legal rights and options.

How Rideshare Companies Can Be Liable to Compensate You Following an Uber/Lyft Accident in Pittsburgh

In Pittsburgh, PA, Uber/Lyft drivers are required to have the mandatory minimum of auto insurance coverage that all drivers in the state are required to have for their vehicles. These minimums include bodily injury liability coverage of at least $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident, and property damage liability coverage of $5,000 per accident. 

However, once an Uber/Lyft driver logs into the mobile application, the driver (usually through the rideshare service) is required to have considerably higher insurance coverage limits:

  • If an Uber/Lyft driver is logged into the application but is not driving to pick up a passenger or has a passenger in the vehicle, the rideshare company provides supplemental insurance coverage (meaning the coverage stacks on top of the Uber/Lyft driver’s own coverage, which remains the first source of financial recovery for any injuries or damages) in minimum amounts of $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident for bodily injury liability, and $25,000 for property damage.
  • If the driver is picking up or actively transporting a passenger, the supplemental coverage limits increase to $1 million for liability coverage, $1 million in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and property damage coverage up to the actual value of the damaged property (minus a deductible). The uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is available to protect the Uber/Lyft driver and any of his or her passengers if an accident is caused by another driver who is uninsured or whose insurance coverage is insufficient to pay for all the damages caused by the accident.

In cases involving catastrophic injuries, it may be critical to have experienced legal representation on your side who may be able to determine whether it is possible to recover more than Uber’s or Lyft’s supplemental insurance coverage through a negligence claim against the company.

Pittsburgh Uber/Lyft Accident Lawyer at The Law Office of Mark A. Smith Fights to Ensure You Receive Full and Fair Compensation for Your Injuries and Damages

Although rideshare drivers for companies like Uber and Lyft provide important transportation services, their job necessarily requires them to take their focus off the road while behind the wheel to look at their cell phones to accept ride requests or for directions or to interact with passengers in the vehicle. When an Uber/Lyft driver negligently causes a motor vehicle accident while driving for a rideshare company, the driver and the company should be held responsible to compensate injured victims.

The Law Office of Mark A. Smith is ready and willing to aggressively pursue the financial compensation you need and deserve for your injuries and damages, including:

  • Past, ongoing, and future medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of earning capacity
  • Lost quality of life
  • Pain and suffering

Uber/Lyft accidents can be factually and legally complex cases that require reviewing many pieces of evidence to determine the liability of a rideshare driver and the rideshare company to compensate you for your injuries and damages. Let Attorney Mark A. Smith pursue the financial recovery you need to get your life back to normal following your accident.

Schedule a Consultation with The Law Office of Mark A. Smith to Speak with Our Pittsburgh Uber/Lyft Accident Attorneys

If you or a loved one have been injured in a motor vehicle accident involving an Uber or Lyft or other rideshare vehicle, contact The Law Office of Mark A. Smith to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation with Attorney Mark A. Smith to discuss your legal rights and options following your accident and injuries and to learn more about how Attorney Mark A. Smith can help you and your family secure the financial compensation and justice that you need and deserve.

Frequently Asked Questions about Uber/Lyft Accidents in Pittsburgh, PA

FAQ: What happens if both the Uber/Lyft driver and another driver were both at fault for the accident?

In accidents where both a rideshare driver and another driver share fault for an accident that you were injured in, each at fault party will be liable to compensate you for a share of your total financial damages, based on each party’s respective percentage of fault. For example, if the Uber/Lyft driver is 70 percent responsible for the accident and the other driver 30 percent responsible, the Uber/Lyft driver and/or his or her rideshare company will be responsible for 70 percent of your damages, while the other driver will be responsible for the other 30 percent of your total damages. The parties’ respective shares of fault may be determined at trial, or the parties may reach an agreement on the allocation of fault through negotiated settlement.

FAQ: Can I recover compensation if I was a bicyclist or pedestrian who was struck by an Uber or Lyft?

Yes. The liability coverage offered by Uber and Lyft when their drivers are logged into the mobile application, driving to pick up a passenger, or actively transporting a passenger protects anyone who might be injured by the Uber/Lyft driver’s negligence, including a passenger in the rideshare vehicle, the occupant of another vehicle, or a bicyclist or pedestrian.Yes. The liability coverage offered by Uber and Lyft when their drivers are logged into the mobile application, driving to pick up a passenger, or actively transporting a passenger protects anyone who might be injured by the Uber/Lyft driver’s negligence, including a passenger in the rideshare vehicle, the occupant of another vehicle, or a bicyclist or pedestrian.

stay up to date
View More Blogs
List of awards List of awards The National Trial Lawyers

Tell Me What Happened






All fields are required to send this form
See why you can trust this form - view our privacy policy

Homestead Office

The Law Office of Mark A. Smith
215 E. 8th Avenue,
Homestead PA, 15120

t. 412.567.9598

Pittsburgh Office

The Law Office of Mark A. Smith
355 Fifth Avenue
The Park Building, Suite 205
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

t. 412.567.9598

© 2020 Law Office of Mark A. Smith. All Rights Reserved. Site Map. Disclaimer. Privacy Policy.

Tell Me What Happened





RETURN TO FORM


All fields are required to send this form
See why you can trust this form - view our privacy policy