Areas of Practice
About Mark Smith
I was born and raised in the Munhall, Homestead area of Pittsburgh and as the great-grandchild of immigrants who labored in the steel mills and factories of our great city, I learned at a very young age that nothing gets done without smart, hard work. I employed that philosophy while working nights throughout my undergraduate studies and again as I worked full time as a law clerk trying to obtain my law degree by night.
Never one to back down from a challenge, just one day after getting my law license I was thrown into the fire when I represented my very first client in an arbitration hearing in the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County. I am proud to say the Arbitrators did not hold my nervousness against my client and I was successful in helping him receive just compensation. Many successful cases have followed, and I have continued to build on my hard-working philosophy where I have learned that personal attention to each and every client is one of the most important aspects of a successful outcome.
Of all the verdicts my clients have received over the years, my greatest accomplishment as an attorney came when my beautiful, smart and compassionate wife said “yes” to my proposal and agreed to marry me despite my long hours as an attorney, penchant for fishing trout streams, and often spending hours away from home playing hockey. My life is a living testament to the belief that beside every good man is an even better woman. Our family was blessed with a beautiful and extremely happy baby girl who is the joy of our lives. She has made me a better lawyer! I am proud to say that we share our lives with two beautiful dogs that run our house (and I have their permission to say so) and we spend as much time with our family and great friends as possible.
Additionally, I am a proud supporter and active participant in various local and national nonprofit organizations including The American Cancer Society, Animal Friends of Pittsburgh, Beverly’s Birthdays, and the United Way Day of Caring.
In October 2013, I was elected by my colleagues to the prestigious Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County. This is quite an honor and I am humbled by inclusion. The Academy is limited to only 250 lawyers in Allegheny County who have excelled in trial work and who are dedicated to protecting our community’s right to a jury trial in civil cases. The election process is rigorous and inclusion in the Academy is by invitation only.
• Duquesne University School of Law (J.D. 2002)
• Point Park University (B.A. 1997)
Honors and Awards
• Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the area of Plaintiffs’ Personal Injury, 2020
• Inducted into the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, October, 2013
• Pennsylvania Rising Star in the area of Medical Malpractice, 2010
• Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer”, 2016-2020
• Law Clerk to the Honorable Lee J. Mazur of the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County (1993)
• Pribanic & Pribanic, L.L.C., (1994 – 2011) Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury
• The Law Office of Mark A. Smith, (2011 – Present)
• Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (2002)
• United States District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania (2002)
Memberships and Professional Affiliations
• Board of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County Moot Court Competition (2020-2023)
• Allegheny County Bar Association
• American Association of Justice
• Pennsylvania Bar Association
• Pennsylvania Rising Star, in the area of Medical Malpractice (2010)
• Pennsylvania Association for Justice
• Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association